“A Black Tie Affair”
Litreactor is currently hosting the Teleport Us sci fi writing challenge for the month of February. I submitted a story the other day, and thought I might share so people wouldn’t have to create a login to read it if they didn’t want.
The rules were simple:
- Must be a science-fiction story
- Must explore a utopian/dystopian theme
- Must feature a technology that’s scientifically plausible
- Must feature a non-human character (what is a non-human? you tell us!)
- Must be more than 1,500 words but less than 4,000 words
“A Black Tie Affair” runs close to the 4,000 word mark and exists in the same dystopian world as The Erased. The reviews looked pretty good the last time I checked. Consider rating it if you like it, and be sure to check out the other entrants (especially this guy).
Without further ado…
Between the sickly sweet smell of coolant and the chemical spray I used on her simulated skin, you might think I’m not accustomed to working with a model like this. You might think the combination of such chemicals inhaled is the reason I think her so beautiful. Or maybe it’s the way the pinkish purple light of the engineering station reflects off her; she resembles a porcelain doll or the sleeping beauty of some long-forgotten fairy tale.